First Night of the Hunger Games!

Posted on

The smallest little snap in the brush made my instincts go crazy. The first knife I grabbed was flicked out of its case and in my hand as fast as my reflexes would let me. I did a slow 360 degree turn and scanned the dirt floor all the way up to the tree tops high above me. Then I heard it again. Snap! This time, I can tell it is coming from my left and I automatically slash my knife, my adrenaline pumping through my veins. My breath comes out in a long, heavy sigh when I hear a rustling and see a bright, rainbow bird up in a tree. After the silence, it snaps off a small branch with its beak to eat bright green leaves off of it. Sneaking down the path, I waited patiently for a while before throwing the knife with all of my force at the bird and it falls, dead, to the ground. After cleaning and stashing it away, I turn 90 degrees away from the clearing and continue down the path facing northwest, parallel to the location of the cornucopia. Noting that the artificial sun had started to set down into the beautiful orange and pink clouds, I headed toward the thicker part of the jungle. Maybe it was time to call it a night.

After scaling up a lush tree, I heard the smallest whisper… ”Hey, hey you.”  I jumped out of my skin and looked around. At first, I thought I had imagined it and was going insane. That was until my gaze finally laid upon a dark shadow about three branches up in the tree. I took out a knife and held it in my sweaty palm. When the person swung to the branch right above me, I slashed out my knife toward them but their reflexes took them back a branch, which blocked them from my wild swing. Warily, they put their hand up and quickly said, “Wait, I don’t want to hurt you. I want to offer an alliance. It would be you and me, what do you say?” I study her for a minute as she climbs back down. Why all of a sudden does she ask me? Now, I recognized her from training, the one who I would sometimes work with. I assumed that was why she asked me. She moved back down to the branch that she was on before I had my fit. “Come up here, it is a barrier of leaves. No one can see us… we’ll be safer. I’m sorry, but I never caught your name.” I slowly climb up the tree and sit next to her but with enough distance to protect myself. “Juniper… Juniper Stowe. District 11”, I mumble quietly. “Cool, nice to meet you Juniper. I am Jasmine Benton, district 12. I have an idea on what we should do”. She started to explain a brilliant plan as I cleaned my knives, one by one, until all seven of them are blindingly shiny. I tucked them back into their case and folded it up, putting the whole thing into my small camouflage backpack. After she finished her plan, she waited and looked at me in silence, waiting for a response. I couldn’t help but marvel over all of those carefully thought-out words and I gave her a quick yet reassuring grin. We worked all night, making a deadly, poisonous contraption that anyone who passes will have to suffer a painful death until their last breath.

At the first rays of daylight, Jasmine talked to me again for the first time since last night. “Now, we wait.” she says with a sadistic grin. I respond with a smile and quietly say, “I feel bad for the sorry tribute that crosses our path. We are unstoppable.”

3 thoughts on “First Night of the Hunger Games!

1. I really liked this piece. In fact, I am quite curious to see what your deadly contraption is (that shows how you did a nice job of getting the reader interested). However, you flip-flopped between past and present tense numerous times. It’s tough, but you just have to pick a tense and stick with it. Then your writing will be unstoppable…see what I did there? Your final sentence said that you were unstoppable, and now your writing is un…oh just forget it.

2. As always, great job on the details and the setting. Hunting the bird could have had more suspense, since it was probably the first thing you killed in the Hunger Games (or ever). Even Jack couldn’t kill a pig in his first time. Your character must be scary if she is used to killing things. Also, sensory details on gutting and cleaning the bird please… Haha, that would be one heck of a scene. Speaking of scary, who is that scary, sadistic Jasmine character? Is she someone in our class? Or the real one with a Y? Also the conversation could have gone more in depths like telling each other your skills and stuff, it would provide a chance for the reader to learn more about the characters. That ending is a bit scary, though I’m sure that you guys wouldn’t be a match for a mad man with double light-sabers.

3. This was a great post. You really made me feel what you were going through and brought the story to life. I am very curious to see what happens next, you had me on the edge of my seat. You bring the fire to the hunger games. I feel like not many people are doing a lot of killing (At leat not in the posts I’ve read) but you brought the tough and bold and predator aspect to it, and that’s a good thing, i like it. It makes your blog different from the rest and I think that that’s admirable! I really enjoy the way you write. keep you the great work!